Lab Assistant - Phlebotomist -- PRN
Company: Christus Health
Posted on: September 11, 2021
This is a PRN position that does not have a set schedule.
The Lab Assistant - Phlebotomist collects blood specimens for
laboratory tests on inpatients and outpatients by venipuncture or
capillary puncture technique. The Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant
performs various clerical tasks to include utilizing the Laboratory
Information System for logging, receiving lab specimens and
preparing specimens for transport. Clerical responsibilities
include answering telephones and providing necessary information to
inquirer, printing and attaching cumulative summaries and pathology
reports to patient charts, faxing results and accessioning
- Must be a high school graduate or have a GED
- Formal phlebotomy training in a Medical Assistant Program or
other hospital or military based program preferred
- Minimum of Six (6) months of full time phlebotomy experience
preferred; more than one year of experience is highly preferred,
preferably in a hospital setting
- Works with computers, printers, multi-line phones.
- Must be knowledgeable of related tests for which blood is
drawn, care of blood specimens, and procedures in blood
- Must be aware of type and amount of blood needed for various
- Must have basic knowledge of vascular system and appropriate
sites for phlebotomy.
- Must be able to perform venipuncture and capillary
- Must be able to perform a number of clerical and
- Must be able to communicate effectively with professional staff
- Must have ability to reason, concentrate, and be adaptable or
- Must have good judgment, initiative, be able to plan and
organize work, and be capable of independent action.
- Must be alert to errors and pay close attention to details
- Must be able to deal calmly with others in stressful
- Must have the ability to explain technical information to
patients and other hospital personnel in an understandable
- Must exhibit a cordial and helpful attitude in all interactions
by voice tone, mannerisms and message content; must assist in the
accommodation of client requests.
- Must be able to achieve a high degree of accuracy in performing
venipuncture and capillary punctures.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is critical in specimen
identification, filing, providing information, and attaching
reports to patient's charts. Incorrect information could affect
- Must also successfully complete the pre-employment/post job
offer health screening examination, and the annual screening each
year thereafter as an employee.
Per Diem As Needed
Keywords: Christus Health, Tyler , Lab Assistant - Phlebotomist -- PRN, Other , Jacksonville, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!